Speakers Drs. James Merlo & mike legatt
Back when we were all starting the Human Performance Community of Practice together, James and Mike gave a presentation on organizational culture, “Obedience, Compliance, or Conformity.” We’ve received several requests since then, asking us to go further. So, today, we’re looking forward to “Obedience, Compliance, or Conformity, Part 2”. We’ll dig further on a few topics:
- How powerful is other people’s influence on what you see? (Solomon Asch)
- What makes it easier for people to do hurtful things to others, and what can we do to prevent them in our organizations? (Stanley Milgram)
- How do encouragement and normalized behavior lead people to make bad choices (Philip Zimbardo)
- How do we identify, and prevent, groupthink (Irving Janis)?
- How do we identify where group polarization is happening?
- How does the Devil’s Advocate / Tenth Man help in groups?
- How do we get groups working together better (e.g., outgroup homogeneity)?